Headquartered in Los Angeles, SoCalGas® is the largest natural gas distribution utility in the United States. SoCalGas delivers affordable, reliable, clean and increasingly renewable natural gas service to 21.8 million customers across 24,000 square miles of Central and Southern California, where more than 90 percent of residents use natural gas for heating, hot water, cooking, drying clothes or other uses. Natural gas delivered through the company's pipelines also plays a key role in providing electricity to Californians— about 45 percent of electric power generated in the state comes from gas-fired power plants. SoCalGas' vision is to be the cleanest natural gas utility in North America, delivering affordable and increasingly renewable energy to its customers. In support of that vision, SoCalGas is committed to replacing 20 percent of its traditional natural gas supply with renewable natural gas (RNG) by 2030.
555 West Fifth Street Los Angeles, CA 90013, Los Angeles, CA, USA, 90013
Project Manager III - Project & Construction
Project Manager III - Project & Construction
6 days ago | Los Angeles, California, United States | SoCalGas
Closing date: June 04 2021
NOTE: Position can be filled at either Gas Co. Tower or Moreno Compressor Station
Lead and manage the Moreno Compressor Modernization project involving permitting, engineering, design, construction, and start-up activities. Responsible for leading teams in the development of overall execution strategy and plans, engineering/design, procurement, contracting plans, cost estimates, and schedules.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Overall project management responsibilities from cradle to grave and single point of accountability for all aspects of projects including fiduciary responsibilities and manages project risks.
- Lead development of Request For Proposals (RFPs) and bid solicitations for purchase orders and contracts including complex Lump Sum Turnkey (LSTK) contracts. Negotiates contracts and contract change orders with engineering firms, suppliers, construction contractors.
- Collaborates and leads stakeholders to define and manage the scope, budget, schedule, execution plan, and risk management plan for the projects under his/her area of responsibility.
- Lead and manage direct and indirect reports, consultants, and contractors.
- Deliver presentations to senior management or external stakeholders where technical and financial aspects of the projects are discussed. Prepares, edits, and approves written communication on technical and non-technical matters for all levels of management.
- Present or testify before and/or prepare supporting documentation for CPUC, FERC, and other government agencies concerning scope, cost estimates, design, or performance of facilities for projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or equivalent knowledge and experience Required
- 10+ years proven successful project management experience in the area of large/complex compressor station or similar projects, particularly those involving large rotating equipment and associated facilities. Required
Skills And Abilities
- Candidate must have a solid understanding of project management principles including scope development, estimate development, capital expenditure plan, schedule development and progress measurement, change management, project financials, and risk management.
- Conceptual and innovative thinking skills are essential to solve complex problems, propose creative solutions, and ensure all feasible options are considered. Must have strong analytical thinking skills to evaluate complex proposals and bids for the basis of making objective decisions.
- Expertise in all areas of engineering, environmental, and finance is preferred. The candidate must have a fundamental understanding of compression station (or similar) engineering and design, environmental requirements, procurement, contracting, construction, field operations, financial considerations and be able to communicate technical issues clearly and concisely to a non-technical audience.
- Must be able to effectively communicate the company's position on adversarial or controversial issues to regulatory agencies or the public. Must speak convincingly regarding all matters of the project and be able to present oneself as a credible spokesperson, especially when dealing with regulatory agencies and the public.
- Must have a basic understanding of contract law and be able to represent the company's interest in dealing with disputes.
- Must possess strong leadership skills and demonstrate good management practices in order to direct, monitor, and assist team members both company employees and outside contractors. Candidate will have indirect reports and outside contractors reporting to him/her requiring strong supervisory and performance management skills.
- Must possess knowledge of business process improvement and quality tools including work process design, development of project procedures, and benchmarking.
- Must possess the ability to effectively interact with various departments to maintain open lines of communication. Must clearly and concisely communicate technical and economic concepts with all levels of management in both formal and informal settings. Prepares, edits, and approves written communication on technical and non-technical matters for all levels of management. May prepare rate case or other testimony and/or work papers. Must possess strong negotiation skills to conduct effective contract negotiations with consultants and engineering/ construction firms. May be required to serve as a witness during regulatory proceedings.
- Requires a valid CA driver's license, as travel and overnight stays may be required.
Project Manager - I
Opening date:April 29
Closing date: May 29 2021
Manage and direct major projects within the department. Responsible for the development of work scope, budget, schedule, and resource requirements. Prepare, negotiate and approve contracts for contractors or consultants. Ensure the organization adheres to legal standards and in-house policies. Enforce regulations in all aspects and levels of business as well as provide guidance on compliance matters.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Manage and coordinate all activities leading to the successful completion of projects including project scoping, timelines, cost estimates and design.
- Develop and maintain project parameters for project requirements.
- Provide direction to contractors, consultants, and project team.
- Analyze and determine regulatory impacts and requirements of the project. Manage related workforce planning, budget analysis, and prepare budget forecasts.
- Research and evaluate available contractors and consultants. Prepare, negotiate and approve or recommend approval of contracts. Negotiate contracts changes.
- Testify before and/or prepare supporting documentation for CPUC and other government agencies concerning cost estimates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Business; or equivalent experience/training. Required.
- 5+ r﻿elated experience. Required.
- Project management knowledge. Required.
- Must be able to assess the potential financial impact of a project to the Company.
- Must possess the ability to review complex problems and propose innovative solutions.
- A business acumen partnered with a dedication to legality. Preferred.
- Methodical and diligent with outstanding planning abilities. Preferred
- Excellent communication skills.
- Project Management certification or compliance related certifications. Preferred.